Total Pageviews

Tuesday 25 November 2014

my speech on 24th July 2014 on 'The African Success story'


This morning I woke up with a running stomach, running nose, then I realized one thing…I am Kenyan, everything in me is supposed to run.
That aside, the world cup was an exciting moment for at least most of us if not all of us. As men we found an undeniable excuse the get back home late. As for the ladies, well, they got an unwanted leave from their daily dose of soap operas. The men got to answer the hardest of questions ranging from “Why couldn’t Christiano Ronaldo play in the world cup finals, he is a good palyer, to why don’t they change the color of the ball change after every game, that one is so cliché.” Some even had to answer as to the question “why is Arsenal not playing in the world cup, I though it won the last world cup last month.” All in all it was a wonderful unforgettable experience.
I was privileged to watch the thrilling match between Cameroon and Brazil in which the latter won 4-1. In the course of the match amidst screams, yells and groans in form of elongated vowels- iiiiiiiiiiiiiii, eeeeeee, aaaaaaa and even new one I was taught by one Flavia Muhai, sssssss, i glanced at my good friend Tito and asked him which team he supported. Here came his response, “Of course Brazil.” At this point I interjected and asked the very question every Kamau, Wafula and Omondi would ask” How could you Tito?” It was a pain in my tushi  for quite some time and to be frank, I felt as if I had just developed a new set of wrinkles on my face. I felt like my portion of white…grey hair, you call it however you want, had just germinated on my head. He then pleaded that I let him finish what he had started but at this point I was burning with a feeling I could not explain. In my head was a myriad of thoughts, in my heart a constant flow of emotions. I thought,  is it that he is from Zimbabwe? No, actually not, Zimbabwe had never won the world cup. No, wait, it had never actually qualified for the African Cup of Nations. I was thinking and thoughting and wondering why a fellow African, probably darker than I am would choose to betray us to this extent.  He finally managed to squeeze in the remaining part of his disappointing words, he said “I support Brazil but I wish Cameroon all the best.”
My presentation today has a blank heading, intentionally so that you will know what to do with it.
That night I slept thinking, have we lost our touch as Africans? Have we totally lost hope in ourselves and our abilities? It dawned on me that we have proved to be completely satisfied by a mere mirage and have lost touch with the real tangible sensible piece of hope. It was clear to me that we have spent all our time trying to find ourselves and it was high time we start creating ourselves.
That if we are to move forward as a continent then we need to stop trying to reap where our past constantly tries to sow. We need to reach Canaan, the promised land, that place where despite paying the price of success and still go from failure to failure we will not lose our enthusiasm. If only we did everyday one thing that scares us, then in one year at least two things will be certain; we would have found 365 ways to succeed or 365 others that will not work out, either way success in both.  Someone said that that if you really want to do something you will find a way. If the inverse is true then you will find an excuse. Choose today who ye shall serve.
We Africans to some extend have become busy bodies with idle minds. We spend our time looking for Caro and looking for Johnny instead of investing the same time in trying to discover our God given purpose. Our minds have been trained to always ask for permission. Hear me loud and clear today, that at times in order to achieve success it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission if you know what I mean. By exploiting, in fact over exploiting our utmost potential we risk being not only being successful but begin becoming people of value. The sky seizes being our limit; it becomes a stepping stone to unlimited heights.
We have been so quiet in championing for this. Let me ask, what drives us? Is it the tension between the desire to communicate and the desire to hide? Or is it the dire need to open up our hearts every morning we wake and aim to reach for the highest star? Think about it. From which barrel do we imbibe in? Think about it.
Then comes the greatest challenge, what is our biggest strength? The fact that we can do it or the fact that we are doing it? We have talent, international talent as others call it. Name them, Lorna Ruto, Obama, Origi, Nyong’o, and all others whose names begin or end with ‘O’. Truth is the few I have mention encountered a paradigm shift in their lives. They graduated from Yes We Can to Yes We Are. With time you will realize that ability and talent become the most useless virtue if not accompanied by the right attitude.

I am not a preacher so you can believe me when I say finally; let us remember that the fear of loving a brother, a sister should not drive us. We should instead come to the understanding that perfect love drives out fear. “wink”

No comments:

Post a Comment